What are enchantments?
Enchantments are bonuses gained when placed on tools, weapons, and armor. To obtain them, they require experience levels and an enchantment table. The more powerful the enchantment, the higher the experience level cost. The enchantment power obtainable is influenced by the number of bookshelves surrounding the enchantment table.
The begin enchanting an item, craft an enchantment table and place it on the ground. Right click on it to bring up the enchanting menu. Notice the square under the enchantment book. Place an enchantable item here and three random enchantments will appear to the right. The numbers (enchantment level) that appear signify how powerful the enchantment will be, but the type of enchantment won't be determined until it is applied. Once applied, you will lose experience levels equal to the enchantment level and your item will glow with a special power. Be sure to note that you will not be able to enchant the item without the required experience level.
To get higher enchantment levels, place bookshelves around the table within two blocks of the enchantment table. If placed correctly, you will notice symbols flying off the shelves and into the enchantment table. It's possible, with higher enchantment levels, to randomly obtain multiple enchantments on an item.
What are the different enchantments?
- Protection: Damage from the environment (such as falling) is converted to armor damage.
- Fire Protection: Damage from fire is reduced.
- Feather Falling (Boots only): Damage from falling is reduced.
- Blast Protection: Damage from blasts is reduced.
- Projectile Protection: Damage from projectiles is reduced.
- Respiration (Helmets only): Increases length of time able to breath under water. Also reduces suffocation damage.
- Water Affinity (Helmets only): Mining speed under water is increased.
- Sharpness: Mobs take more damage.
- Smite: Zombies, zombie pigmen, and skeletons take significantly more damage.
- Bane of Arthropods: Spiders, cave spiders, and silverfish take significantly more damage.
- Knockback: Mobs and other players are knocked backwards when hit.
- Fire Aspect: Mobs are lit on fire.
- Looting: Mobs have a chance of dropping more items.
- Power: Increases the damage output of the bow.
- Punch: Functions similarly to the Knockback Enchantment for weapons.
- Infinity: Ammo will never decrease in quantity with this enchantment.
- Flame: Entities are set on fire when arrows make contact.
- Efficiency: Faster mining rate.
- Silk Touch: Mined blocks will drop themselves instead of their normal drops.
- Unbreaking: Tool's durability reduction is slowed.
- Fortune: Mined blocks may drop multiple items.
- Luck of the Sea: Junk is less likely to be found while fishing.
- Lure: The chance of catching something is greater while fishing.